LASIK eye surgery is a procedure that corrects certain vision problems, such as nearsightedness, farsightedness, and/or astigmatism.
This can reduce or eliminate the need for eyeglasses or corrective lenses. LASIK is short for laser-assisted in-situ keratomileusis, the technical term for the surgical procedure.
LASIK eye surgery is the most common type of refractive surgery. Refractive surgery changes the shape of your cornea — the transparent membrane that arcs over your pupil and the colored part of your eye (iris) — to bend (refract) light rays to focus more precisely on your retina rather than at some point beyond or short of your retina.
LASIK Eye Surgery Benefits
- It works! Most patients will be at their desired visual endpoint after LASIK.
- LASIK eye surgery is associated with very little pain, if any pain.
- Vision is corrected nearly immediately or by the next day under most circumstances.
- Recovery is quick and usually no bandages or stitches are required after LASIK eye surgery.
- Adjustments can be made after LASIK eye surgery to further correct vision if it is medically and surgically safe to do so.
- After having LASIK eye surgery, most patients no longer need corrective eyewear for distance and/or near vision depending on the type of surgery performed.
Please schedule a free consultation appointment to see if you are a candidate for LASIK eye surgery.